Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Join The Anniversary Celebration!

It's that time of year where we at IHTNEP get out our party hats and do a little celebrating. "Why?", you might ask, "Is it because today is the day Wayne Gretzky was born?". No, that's not it. "Didn't the Hatriots just win? Shouldn't you be bowing your heads in anger and muttering foul curse words like 'Belichick' and 'Bruschi'?" No, we shouldn't, because today, my friends, is January 26th, a day that shall live in infamy. You see, today is none other than the 8th Anniversary of the shellacking of the Hatriots in Super Bowl XXXI!

In this tightly-fought battle, we watched Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers triumph over the Drew Bleeds-so-much led Hatriots. The game turned on a 99-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by the wily special teamer, Desmond Howard - now there's a former U of M Wolverine we can all appreciate! And if you were wondering, yes, Bleeds-so-much has a special place in our Hall of Much-Hated Hatriots - if Drew-Blood could just take a hit, Mr. Brady Bunch wouldn't have had his opportunity to start, and who knows where we'd all be now?

Final score: Green Bay Packers 35, New England Hatriots 21. A day of glory, a day of hope. Will we see such halcyon days again?

Late-breaking Addendum: This day is even more special for Haters than we originally thought, for on this day 19 years ago we witnessed a 46-10 demolition of the Hatriots by the vaunted Chicago Bears and their impenetrable "46" defense. Refridgerator Perry, Jim McMahon, and yes, even the Super Bowl Shuffle. Here's a quote from the Shuffle lest we forget:
  • You're lookin' at the Fridge, I'm the rookie.
    I may be large, but I'm no dumb cookie.
    You've seen me hit, you've seen me run,
    When I kick and pass, we'll have more fun.
    I can dance, you will see.
    The others, they all learn from me.
    I don't come here lookin' for trouble,
    I just came here to do
    The Super Bowl Shuffle.

No celebration of this wondrous day can be complete without revisiting this crushing blow to the New England Hatriot spirit!



2 Comments:

Blogger Hater in Chief said...

IHTNEP strictly prohibits relatives of members of the editorial staff from posting to the site, due to the potential for conflicts of interest. Please cease and desist in any such activity.

IHTNEP also objects to the use of the diminutive "Dumzi", as it may suggest (to some) a lack of intellect on the part of the author.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew about this site til tonite, but now I am so glad I do.

Dumzi!

Wow. Family magic.

- Joey

PS: Speaking of family, my in-laws are all Pats fans, and of course my family all Packers fans (in my Dad's case since the 40's). I remember the Packer-Patriot superbowl as the happiest sports day in my life. I have the hat to prove it. My sister named her dog Desmond. (He eventually had to be put down after biting the neighbor's kid, but that's another story).

I'd remind people that a short year later the Packers lost the supe. And then George Bush was coronated president. And then bad guys knocked down the world trade center. And then more bad guys started a war. And then George Bush was purportedly elected president. Who can say what caused it all, but it's been a bad run.

While I'm babbling I should also mention that the U of M makes me ill and employees of the UW should know better.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home